Synopsis

Sleeping With The Material World is a coming of age story about a girl who travels the world seeking a modelling career before finally finding herself. Born to an underprivileged Toronto family, she sees modelling as her opportunity for a big break, and travels to Tokyo to begin her fashion adventure. But Sarah quickly realizes she’s more interested in the boys and the lifestyle than the modelling, and thus begins a whirlwind five years of travelling across the globe chasing men and job opportunities. Rubbing shoulders with personalities as diverse as professional athletes, Hong Kong mafiosos and a crazy ex-boyfriend back in Canada, Sarah’s experiences vary from an allergic reaction in Japan to a stint in Brazilian jail to quitting modelling to join a car rally in China. Through it all, there’s one particular playboy who seems eternally unattainable. In the end, Sarah realizes that neither the men nor the industry can make her happy, and she has her final awakening upon returning home to Canada. A sample from the book can be found here.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Dating Diary: The Blond-Haired Englishman

A few years ago I put myself in a very weird situation. It all started one night when I was out drinking with the guys and a tall, thin blond man with an English accent approached me. I was polite with him but not interested because a) I was busy with my friends and b) tall and skinny and blond is not my type. After I gave him the cold shoulder he started chatting up one of my guy friends (I didn’t really notice because it was a standing bar and everyone was milling around) and when last call came and we headed back to a girlfriend’s place, the blond tagged along. The group chilled all night and I ended up chatting with him a bit. At that hour, he seemed cute and interesting, and when he asked my number, I gave it to him (partly because I was into it, but mostly because at that stage of my life I was terrible at saying no to any man who asked for it – thankfully, I’m better about that now). When I had to leave and he made to leave at the same time, my girlfriend pulled me aside. “Do you like this guy?” she asked. I told her I didn’t and she rushed me out before the guy could follow and try and get me back to his place.

He went back to England and we texted back and forth and Skyped a few times. Neither of us seemed that interested in making things happen. It’s hard for me to fall in love long-distance – I feel like I need to see, hear and feel a lot of interest coming from a man before I’m engaged. But a few months after I had first met him he mentioned he was coming back to Toronto on business, and he suggested we see each other. It seemed like a good idea but the timing was bad for me – I was scheduled for three straight 12-hour waitressing shifts (11 AM-11 PM) on the weekend he was coming. I told him I would try to see him, but deep down I knew I wasn’t going to put in much effort. Once he got to town he texted me several times. I felt bad and agreed to meet him after work. I was very tired and felt sticky and yucky from a long day in the restaurant, but we chatted for an hour or two and then I went home. The next day he again met me after work. This time we went out drinking until last call and then I went back to his hotel and talked some more. He was a complete gentleman – he didn’t even try to kiss me. I crashed on his bed for an hour and then I went home to clean up and get ready for work. He gave me a little peck on the cheek and headed back to England.

After that I became interested in him, despite (or maybe because of) the lack of physical affection between us. I found his accent charming and he seemed mature and kind. He was a couple of years older than me (I was late twenties at the time and he must have been about 31) and he seemed ready to start a family. After he went back to England we started Skyping almost every day. I dreamt about him and suddenly we were talking about moving in together and getting serious. We decided that I would go to London to meet his family and then he would come back to Toronto for two weeks. We wanted to try out living together and if it worked out our plan was to move to New York together. I even stopped talking to other guys and told people that we were officially dating. Keep in mind that this was before we’d ever done anything physical. My friends thought that was kind of weird, but I didn’t see it as a red flag. It just seemed like the opportunity hadn’t really come up. But as soon as I booked the time off work for my London trip, reality hit. I realized that this whole thing was totally insane. I told him to cancel the flights. I didn’t want to do it anymore. He tried to talk me down and eventually we agreed that he would come to see me in Toronto and we would see if there was anything left between us. I was reluctant at first but he told me any number of reasons why it made sense and eventually I agreed that he could come to Toronto and stay at my place for a week. My friends told me that drawing this out was crazy, but I wanted to do it. I’ve always wanted that fantasy love story, that Prince Charming, and I still held out some hope that this man was the one.

But a week before the blond came an ex-boyfriend from LA I had not seen in more than 3 years showed up in Toronto. I had been madly in love with this ex-boyfriend and seeing him brought out all my old emotions. I threw myself at him and yet again, as he had so many times before, he shot me down. (I found out later that he had a wife in the States with whom he had an on-again, off-again relationship – I could never have been his main squeeze.) I was heartbroken. I had never told someone I loved them and not had it reciprocated. I knew the blond was coming but I knew that I could never love him as much as I loved my ex from LA, and I didn’t want to break his heart the way that my ex had broken mine.

Right away when I picked blond boy up from the airport, I knew we didn’t click. He came back to my place and slept on the pull-out couch. The next night we had a good time in town with my friends, but when we got back to the apartment a little tipsy, things exploded. I told him I wanted him to stay on the couch again but he didn’t like that. We had a huge argument and finally I relented and let him sleep on my bed, but we weren’t intimate. We had booked a cottage for the following day and by the time we woke up the following morning, I knew I didn’t want to do it. He and I fought for a few hours. He asked me what had changed since we had first made the plans. I’d been dodging the question for hours but finally I admitted what had happened with my ex. We cancelled the cottage and I told him he had to leave. He insisted on staying and trying to work things out between us.

“Listen,” I said. “Figure out if you’re going to go on to New York City, or catch a flight back to London. You can’t stay here!”

My anger was rising at this point because things had turned really sour and I just wanted it to be over. I retreated to my bedroom for a nap while he figured things out, but as I listened for the sounds of him packing up I heard nothing but silence. I came out of the bedroom to find him curled up in the fetal position on the couch. I thought, Oh my God, this guy looks like a child. He’s so feminine. What was I thinking? His arms and legs were almost as skinny as mine, and I’m incredibly thin.

“What are you doing?” I blurted out. “You need to get the fuck out of here, so figure out what you’re doing!” He persisted, telling me he still wanted to work things out. I told him to please just leave and asked him how he could even want to stick around in such an awkward situation. “If I were you, I’d just leave.”

Finally he booked a flight home. After he was gone, I felt free but so sad. It felt like my ideals of love had slipped away twice in two weeks. After the blond got back to England he continued to text me. Some messages were sweet and some were mean. He couldn’t accept that there had been nothing between us. I deleted him from Facebook and Whatsapp. One day he texted me a picture of a girl in her underwear in a hotel room. I told him he was being fucking weird and if he didn’t stop I would go so far as to block his number.  He said it was a message intended for another girl and he didn’t mean to send it to me, which I didn’t buy. After a few more ignored texts, the blond Englishman left my life for good.

I tell this story because it is a release for me personally but also as a warning to girls and women to be careful what you fall for. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t do it. Some people seem great as an idea but the reality never measures up to the fantasy. Good luck in all your relationships!


-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment