Synopsis

Sleeping With The Material World is a coming of age story about a girl who travels the world seeking a modelling career before finally finding herself. Born to an underprivileged Toronto family, she sees modelling as her opportunity for a big break, and travels to Tokyo to begin her fashion adventure. But Sarah quickly realizes she’s more interested in the boys and the lifestyle than the modelling, and thus begins a whirlwind five years of travelling across the globe chasing men and job opportunities. Rubbing shoulders with personalities as diverse as professional athletes, Hong Kong mafiosos and a crazy ex-boyfriend back in Canada, Sarah’s experiences vary from an allergic reaction in Japan to a stint in Brazilian jail to quitting modelling to join a car rally in China. Through it all, there’s one particular playboy who seems eternally unattainable. In the end, Sarah realizes that neither the men nor the industry can make her happy, and she has her final awakening upon returning home to Canada. A sample from the book can be found here.

Monday, February 5, 2018

Dating Diary: A Foot Fetish?

I’d been casually acquainted with this fellow model at my agency for a few years. The first time we had met was at a Mac Body Painting show where we got to see each other naked. I liked what I saw and I guess he did too, but nothing came of it because he hooked up with one of the makeup artists after the show and I left. Years went by and we ran into each other at a few castings. We would talk here and there but I always thought he was a bit of a mimbo (male bimbo), so I wasn’t really interested. Besides, the only model I ended up dating in all my years in the industry turned out to be gay, which kind of turned me off the idea of dating the male talent in general.

But eventually this mimbo and I ended up doing a casting for an alcohol commercial where we played boyfriend and girlfriend. At the time I was newly single and had just moved back to Toronto, and after the casting we started talking about religion and astrology and for the first time in all my years of rubbing shoulders with this guy I thought that maybe there was more to him than just looks. I gave him my number and he walked me to the streetcar stop. We stood there talking for about an hour as streetcar after streetcar passed me by. It was like I couldn’t tear myself away. Finally I told him I had to go because I was going to be late for work. He gave me a hug and kissed me on the cheek. I was a little shocked.

“Thank you?” I said. Then I hopped on the streetcar.

I was busy for a few days, but we eventually made plans for the following Sunday. Every time I had seen him up to this point was at a casting, so I was familiar with his clean-cut photo-ready look, but on Sunday I was a bit shocked to find out what he looked like in real life – unshaven, with clothing that was a little bit dishevelled and long, dirty fingernails. (I can’t stand dirty fingernails.) He came to my area in Etobicoke and we went to an Italian bakery for lunch, then walked down to the water. He showed me some Tai Chi and I showed him the Kabuki movements I was learning in an acting class. Despite his appearance, I was having a really good time and we ended up going for some Thai food where he made me laugh super awkwardly by singing to me in the restaurant. Mostly it was goofy and fun and romantic, and I didn’t want the fun to stop. After dinner it was getting dark so I asked if he wanted to come over and watch a movie or something. Inside, we talked for a little while and then he asked if he could see my feet.

“No, why?” I said. “Do you have a foot fetish?”

“What if I do?”

I was a little surprised, but at this point I needed to know more.

“What do you do, like, suck on toes and stuff?”

“Yeah, among other things. Let me see them.”

I told him I wasn’t interested because I wasn’t into that. As we continued to talk, a few other things about him came out. He was thirty years old and still lived with his Mom, a pothead, and pretty into the Bible. He still went to church every Sunday and he wanted me to believe too. I don't know how I feel about religion, but I'm certainly not that committed.

I had a lesbian love scene I was working on for my acting class where I had to kiss the other girl at the end. I asked this guy to help me rehearse the scene, but I warned him from the top that I didn’t want to act the kiss out. I just wanted to practice my lines. We ran it through a few times without the kiss, but on the fourth go-round he came over and kissed me. He had great lips, even though they smelled like roast beef and cigarettes, and after we kissed I found I couldn’t focus on the scene anymore. I hadn’t been touched by a man in about four months and I knew I wanted more. We sat there awkwardly for a few minutes, and then I stood up and said I had to run an errand. As I walked towards the door, our eyes locked and suddenly we were kissing again, more intensely than before. Soon our bodies were all twisted together, my legs wrapped around his torso, but then I realized I didn’t want to go any further. We stopped, and I appreciated that he didn’t push the issue.

After he left, I thought about things and decided he wasn’t for me. I was probably just a bit desperate because I hadn’t hooked up with anyone in a long time. In the end, the foot fetish thing was too weird, and I didn’t want a relationship with a grubby pothead who still lived with his Mom. But we’re still Facebook friends and I wish him the best in finding a girl who is also into foot fetishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment